Captain George Deuchars
Captain George Deuchars, "one of the most admired masters in the whaling industry," was master of several ships throughout his career. He was forced into an early retiral at the age of 40 due to paralysis.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2020:
Relative to income compared to 2020:
Personal details and history
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of spouse
Age at death:
St Aidens Churchyard, Broughty Ferry
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Clubs / societies
Subscriber no.88 – Messrs Gilroy Brothers & Co. owned the whaling ship ‘Alexander’ that was Deuchars’ last command.
Career and worklife
Place of work
Gilroy Brothers, Dundee
Career to date:
Captain George Deuchars was master of several whaling ships which sailed from Dundee, including the the 'Princess Charlotte'; the 'Alexander II' and the 'Narhwal.' His father George was also a master of several of the Dundee whaling fleet. George Deuchars was forced into an early retiral after suffering from paralysis and died at the age of 41.
The Deuchars are described as one of the most prolific whaling dynasties in Dundee with at least five whaling masters of that surname in nineteenth century Dundee, from Alexander b. 1808 to William b. 1849.
He was master of many ships, the final one being the screw whaler the Alexander, owned by Gilroy Brothers and Co. The Alexander was launched in February 1864and left for its first voyage in March of the same year. As a result of his illness, George Deuchars was forced to return early in October of the same year.
- Old Parish Record. Dundee. Birth. 16 July 1824. 282/150 227. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Old Parish Record. Monifieth. Marriage. 12 December 1850. 310/60. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Register. Monifieth. Birth. 12 September 1859. 310/136. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Scotland Select Births and Baptisms, 1564- -1950. Ancestry website.
- Statutory Register. Arbirlot. Death. 8 September 1865. 271/10. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Dundee Courier, 9 September 1865, p.2. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Find A Grave index. Ancestry website.
- Archibald, Malcolm. (2013) The Dundee Whaling Fleet , Ships, Masters and Men. p.216, Dundee: Dundee University Press.
- Dundee, Perth, and Cupar Advertiser, Friday, 26 February 1864, p.2. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Dundee, Perth, and Cupar Advertiser, Friday, 25 March 1864, p.2. British Newspaper Archive website.
The information above about George Deuchars has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.