George Worrall Esquire
Married to Mary Buxton, George Worrall was a Derbyshire born hacklemaker who had 7 children. (A hackle is a steel comb for separating flax fibres). He was a keen sportsman as well as being an involved person at his Methodist church.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2023:
Relative to income compared to 2023:
Personal details and history
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of spouse
Mary Buxton (b.1816)
Samuel (b.1841); Jason (b.1845); George (b.1847); Mary Ann (b.1851); Hannah (b.1853); Alexander (b.1855); Georgina (b.1860)
14 Fleuchar Street, Dundee.
Age at death:
Place of death:
Western Cemetery, Dundee.
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Career and worklife
Place of work
Hacklemaker & Card Cloth Manufacturer
5 Blinshall Street, Dundee.
Career to date:
George Worrall was a part of the firm of Worrall, Hallam & Co., hackle and gill makers, Willison Street, Barrack Street, Dundee, before he set up in business on his own in Blinshall Street. He occupied a house in Fleuchar Craig/Fleuchar Street for many years.
George Worrall’s sons, George junior and Samuel, followed him into the hacklemaking business, while another son, Jason, became an engineer.
- Dundee Courier, Friday, 16 February 1894, p.5. British Newspaper Archive website.
- 1861 Census Scotland. Liff and Benvie, Dundee Second District. 282/2 ED42 p.3. Ancestry Website.
- Dundee Directories, 1861-1894. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee, St. Mary. Death. 282/2 101. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Western Cemetery index. Friends of Dundee City Archives. p35 of 37. Friends of Dundee City Archives website.
- Dundee Directory, 1850. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1856-1894. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1888-1894. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
The information above about George Worrall has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.