James Farquharson Esquire
No trace can be found of any involvement in public, trade or religious life. It appears James Farquharson focused on his business which developed from hosier into shirtmaker, glover and milliner, skills that his wife and perhaps his daughters possessed.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2020:
Relative to income compared to 2020:
Personal details and history
Date of birth
Place of birth
Lochee, Liff, Benvie & Invergowrie
Name of spouse
Age at death:
Place of death:
125 Nethergate, Dundee,
Date of death:
Western Cemetery Dundee - Lair 136,a,b,c.
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Clubs / societies
Career and worklife
Place of work
Career to date:
James Farquharson was born in Lochee in 1827, the son of James and Ann Farquharson. By 1841 he was described as a clothier living with his Perthshire-born mother and younger sister and brother at Quarry Road, Lochee. She was the head of the household and described as a house proprietor, suggesting that his father had already died. He married Margaret Smith and the couple made their home in Reform Street. By the time of his subscription, James Farqhuharson had established a successful hosier's business in the Nethergate.
James Farquharson’s business premises moved to 108-110 Nethergate not long after making his subscription to the Albert Institute and, by 1871, he employed 2 men and 18 women. He also moved house from 69 Reform Street to 18 Paton`s Lane by 1874. His only son, James, died in 1874, aged 5. He finally moved house to 125 Nethergate, situated conveniently across the road from his business premises in about 1890.
- Old Parish Registers. Liff, Benvie & Invergowrie. Baptism. 26 October 1827. 301/40 15. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee. Death. 1899. 282/1 238. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee Third District. Birth. 24 April 1856. 282/3 76. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee Second District. Birth. 22 March 1858. 282/2 420. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee First District. Birth. 1866. 282/1 714. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee First District. Birth. 1867. 282/1 1758. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Statutory Registers. St. Clement, Dundee. Birth. 1869. 282/3 588. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Dundee Directory, 1861-62. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies.
- Dundee Directory, 1864-65. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies.
- Index to lair owners, Western Cemetery. Friends of Dundee City Archives website.
- 1851 Census Scotland. Dundee. 282 ED102 p.18. Ancestry website.
- Dundee Directories, 1869-1899. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies.
- 1871 Census Scotland. St. Clement, Dundee. 282/3 ED8 p.10. Ancestry website.
- Dundee Directory, 1874-75. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies.
- Statutory Register. St. Clement, Dundee. Death. 282/3 90. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Dundee Directories, 1890-1899. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies.
The information above about James Farquharson has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.