Mr James Milln
James Milln (1827-1871) Banker (senior manager/banking inspector). Born in England, addresses in England. No known address in Scotland.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2019:
Relative to income compared to 2019:
Personal details and history
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of spouse
Mary Moorhouse Stocks
Esther Ann Milln
Age at death:
Place of death:
Addiscombe Lodge, Croydon, Surrey
Date of death:
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Career and worklife
James Milln was employed by the National Bank of Scotland as a manager/banking inspector. “…Established in 1825 as National Banking Company of Scotland. In 1831 the bank received a royal charter and changed its name to National Bank of Scotland. In 1843 it opened its Glasgow Office, and in 1864 was the first Scottish bank to open an office in London.”
He was a difficult person to research, given that his two home addresses were in England, but he was clearly a very senior bank officer, travelling between England and Scotland (with no known address in Scotland) presumably discharging a regulatory function within the bank. His £20 subscription marks him out as a very wealthy man in his own right (notional value at 2018: Relative to Income £16,000).
James’ wife Mary was the second daughter (of 5) of James Stocks and Esther Moorhouse. James Stocks was a woollen manufacturer in Honley, Yorkshire. The business, which he ran with his son James Moorhouse Stocks, employed 17 men, 22 women, 10 boys, and 2 girls.
- Statutory Registration of Marriage. 1851. Honley Church, chapelry of Honley, County of York. Ancestry website.
- Old Parish Record. Barony, Lanarkshire. Birth. 16th September 1852. Ref: 622/140 477. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Probate of the Last Will & Testament of James Milln. 28th February 1871. Ref: SC70/6/8. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Marriage. 1843. Honley, York. FHC Film No. 1450500 Ref. I.D. yr 1813-1961 p.2. Ancestry website.
- National Bank of Scotland. Royal Bank of Scotland website.
- 1851 Census. Honley. Piece 2292, Folio 138, p.2. Ancestry website.
The information above about James Milln has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.