D & W Crabb
A family business of slaters, founded by brothers who had previous experience of working for an uncle in this trade. The business was successfully carried on by David Crabb after his younger brother, William Crabb, died in 1849.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2023:
Relative to income compared to 2023:
Details and history
Biography & early working life
David Crabb was born in 1805 and William Craigie Crabb was born in 1813, both in Dundee, the sons of John Crabb and Helen Hedderwick. David was admitted to the Three United Trades (Masons, Wrights & Slaters) as apprentice to his uncle William Craigie, in February 1827 and William was admitted in September 1834. The earliest record of David working as a slater in his own right is in the Dundee Directory, 1837-38. He married Mary Lawrence from Perth in 1845. In 1844, both brothers were admitted as master slaters to the Three United Trades and both brothers were active in the activities of the Trade, holding various offices from 1844 onwards.
D & W Crabb Slaters the Business
D & W Crabb Slaters was in business from 1845 until 1881. The business was formed by David and William Crabb when a previous incarnation of Craigie & Crabb, Slaters, was dissolved in 1845 on the death of their uncle William Craigie. William Crabb died in 1849 and David carried on the business alone. David retired in 1881 when he transferred the business to two long standing employees, James Alexander and William Low, in 1881 when David was 75 years old.
As well as managing the slating business, David was a director of the Forfarshire Building Society from its earliest days. He was a member of the Dundee Harbour Board and was associated with the congregation of the Ward Chapel from its formation. He is reported as having had no political interests.
Death & will
- 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census. Dundee, St Mary, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland. Findmypast website.
- Dundee Courier, Notice, 12 September 1881. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Old Parish Record. Dundee. Birth. 4 August 1805. Crabb David. 282/ 90 145 p.145 of 581. ScotlandsPeople website.
- The Slater Trades Minute Book, 1806-1976. Slaters folder on ninetradesofdundee.co.uk/three-united-trades website.
- Dundee Directory 1837-38. Post Office Directories. National Library of Scotland website.
- Old Parish Record. Dundee. Marriage. 21 July 1845. Crabb David. 282/ 230 164 p.164 of 510. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Northern Warder, Notice, 6 November 1845. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Dundee Courier, Notice, 24 July 1884. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Dundee Advertiser, Obituary, 31 December 1883. British Newspaper Archive website.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee. Death. 1883 Crabb David. 282/2 808. ScotlandsPeople website.
- Testamentary Records. Dundee. 1884 Crabb, David. Wills and testaments. Reference SC45/31/34, Dundee Sheriff Court. Image 43 Last image 51. ScotlandsPeople website.
The information above about has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.