Mrs Anne None Jobson
Ann Jobson was widowed after two years of marriage. She lived with her sisters at Crawford Lodge, named after their mother and, with her sisters, supported many charitable causes.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2021:
Relative to income compared to 2021:
Personal details and history
Anne None Jobson
Date of birth
Place of birth
Age at death:
Place of death:
Date of death:
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Free Church of Scotland
Clubs / societies
- Subscriber 18 – Edward Baxter – brother in law, formerly married to sister Elizabeth
- Subscriber 35 – W E Baxter – stepson of Anne’s sister Elizabeth and former brother in law Edward Baxter
- Subscriber 113 – Marion Jobson – sister of Ann
- Subscriber 113 – Helen Jobson – sister of Ann
- Subscriber 212 – John Symers Esq -Anne’s brother in law, married to her sister Mary
- Subscriber 227 – Euphemia Symers – brother in law’s sister
- Subscriber 227 – Lilias Symers – brother in law’s sister
Career and worklife
Place of work
Career to date:
Ann Jobson was a widow of independent means who used her wealth to support many charitable ventures. In 1861 she took the unusual step for a woman of attending a public meeting of the Liff and Benvie Parochial Board in order to vote in favour of altering the means of assessment of the poor.
Ann Jobson married Robert Jobson Jnr. of Longforgan in 1835 and, sadly, was widowed two years later.
She was evidently a keen gardener. After the death of William Gardiner, the Dundee botanist, she subscribed to the fund set up for his son and in later years the Crawford Lodge gardener successfully competed in Dundee Flower Show.
Ann Jobson and her sisters subscribed to many charitable causes. After her death she left legacies to Dundee Royal Infirmary, Dundee Female Society, Indigent Sick Society, Mission Work of St Paul’s Free Church Dundee, The Foreign Missions of the Free Church of Scotland, Free Church of Scotland Jewish Missions, Dundee Clothing Society and the Gaelic School Society.
- Old Parish Registers. Dundee. Births. 1805. 282/ 90 145. ScotlandsPeople website
- Statutory Registers. Dundee. Deaths. 1891. 282/ 1 467. ScotlandsPeoplewebsite
- Old Parish Registers. Dundee. Marriages. 1835. 282/ 220 207. ScotlandsPeople website
- Old Parish Registers. Longforgan. Marriages. 1835. 377/ 40 242. ScotlandsPeople website
- Dundee People's Journal. 23 March 1861. Findmypast website
The information above about Anne None Jobson has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.