Robert M MacNaughton Esquire
A Perthshire-born, Dundee hotelier, with a distinguished record as a member of the town council., He was twice elected as Dean of Guild. He left Dundee in the 1870s to pursue a career in the licensed trade in London.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2021:
Relative to income compared to 2021:
Personal details and history
Robert M MacNaughton
Date of birth
Married in 1857
Age at death:
Place of death:
Date of death:
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Clubs / societies
Director, Dundee High School, c.1871-1872. Ordinary Director, Royal Lunatic Asylum, c.1871-1872. Assessor, Guildry Incorporation, c.1874-1877.
Dean of Guild, Dundee Town Council, c.1871-1872. Forfarshire Prison Board, c.1871-1872. Forfarshire Lunacy Board, c.1871-1872. Harbour Trustee, c.1871-1875.
Career and worklife
Place of work
Career to date:
Robert MacNaughton came to Dundee and was proprietor of the Royal Hotel, 54 Nethergate and Union Street from about 1858. In the early 1860s he was persuaded to stand for the Town Council and "by his intelligence, activity, and zeal he gained rapid advancement in civic honours." He was soon raised to the magistracy and, as convener of the sanitary committee, he was active in stamping out an outbreak of cholera which occurred in Lochee.
Robert MacNaughton was born in Fortingall, Perthshire in 1833, the son of John MacNaughton and Margaret Dewar. He married Margaret Campbell in Edinburgh in 1857, shortly before coming to Dundee. He was twice elected Dean of Guild on Dundee Town Council. In about 1875 he sold the Royal Hotel to James Russell and moved to live in London, running the Prince of Wales in Camberwell. He died there in 1899, but would still have been well known to an older generation of Dundonians from running the Royal Hotel and being a prominent and active member of the magistracy.
- Old Parish Records. Fortingall, Perthshire. Baptism. 6 November 1833. 355/A 30 52. ScotlandsPeople website.
- 1871 Census Scotland. St. Mary, Dundee. 282/2 ED1 p.1. Ancestry website.
- Statutory Registers. Calton & Bonnington. Marriage. 1857. 685/6 25. ScotlandsPeople website.
- 1881 Census England & Wales. Camberwell. RG11/697. Ancestry website.
- 1861 Census Scotland. Dundee Second District. 282/2 ED4 p.1. Ancestry website.
- Dundee Directories, 1858-1868. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1869-1877. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Obituary Book No.2. 4 April 1899. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1871-1877. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1871-1875. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- List of Subscribers, Albert Institute Ltd, 20 February 1865.
- Dundee Directories, 1858-1875. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
The information above about Robert M MacNaughton has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.