William Wilkie Cooper Esquire
William Wilkie Cooper was quiet and unobtrusive in his manner, yet possessed excellent business capabilities and was highly respected by all who knew him.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2020:
Relative to income compared to 2020:
Personal details and history
William Wilkie Cooper
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of spouse
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Clubs / societies
He was a liberal supporter of the Infirmary and took a great interest in its management.
According to his obituary, William Wilkie Cooper "never at any time took any active part in public life."
Career and worklife
Place of work
W. W. Cooper & Co., Dundee
7-9 Reform Street
Career to date:
After apprenticeship in Forfar, William Wilkie Cooper worked in a large establishment in Cork before moving to Dundee. He opened a business in Reform Street in 1839.
Born 11-10-1814 son of James Wilkie, farmer at Westcraig, Forfar
- Dundee Evening Telegraph. 21 April 1882. British Newspaper Archives website.
- 1881 Census Scotland. Barry, Forfarshire. 274/3/5. Scotlandspeople website.
- Dundee Postal Directory, 1867-68. Dundee Central Library, Local Studies
- Statutory Registers. Barry, Forfarshire. Deaths. 21 April 1882. 274/ 17. Scotlandspeople website.
- Old Parish Registers. Forfar. Births. 288/ 40 312. ScotlandsPeople website
The information above about William Wilkie Cooper has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.