William Scott Jnr Esquire
A son of the Dundee Town Architect, who was apprenticed to Christopher Kerr, Town Clerk, and set himself up as a solicitor in Dundee after studies at Edinburgh University. He died young leaving a large family.
Subscription value in 1863:
Relative to inflation up to 2020:
Relative to income compared to 2020:
Personal details and history
William Scott Jnr
Place of birth
Name of spouse
6 South Union Street, Dundee c.1850.
5 South Tay Street, Dundee, c.1856-1857.
4 Comely Bank, Constitution Road, Dundee, c.1858-1859.
4 Windsor Street, Dundee, c.1861-1862.
Prospect Villa, Blackness Terrace, Dundee, c.1864-1865.
Johnfield, 15 Magdalen Yard Road, Dundee, c.1867-1875.
Carmelbank, West Ferry, c.1876-1881.
Age at death:
Place of death:
Carmel Bank, West Ferry
Date of death:
Western Cemetery, Dundee (compartment 7 156 a,b,c.)
Affiliations, clubs, offices and related subscribers
Clubs / societies
Agent, British Guarantee, c.1856-1859. Agent, Scottish Provident, c.1856-1857. Solicitor, Caledonian Property Investment Co., c.1858-1865. Secretary and solicitor, Caledonian Property Investment Co., c.1867-1877. Secretary and solicitor, Caledonian Property Investment Building Society, c.1878-1881. Master Extraordinary in Chancery, c.1861-1865. Commissioner for taking affidavits to be used in Supreme Courts of England and Ireland - Court of Chancery in Ireland, c.1861-1881. Agent, City of Glasgow (life) Insurance Co., c.1869-1879. Manager, Dundee Working Men's Housing Association Ltd., c.1869-1879. Solicitor and agent, Heritable Securities Investment Association Ltd., c.1869-1879. Agent, Caledonian (Fire & Life) Insurance Co., c.1876-1879. Agent, North British and Mercantile (Fire & Life) Insurance Co., c.1876-1877. Agent, Scottish Equitable (Life), c.1876-1877. Agent, Heritable Securities and Mortgage Investment Association Ltd., c.1880-1881.
Subscriber 124 – Messrs C Kerr & C W Kerr – William Scott Jun served his apprenticeship with Messrs Christopher & John Kerr
Subscriber 236 – William Scott – his father
Career and worklife
Partner in Johnston & Scott
Place of work
30 Reform Street, Dundee, c.1856-1881.
Career to date:
Clerk in Christopher Kerr & Co., Dundee before legal studies at Edinburgh University. In partnership with John Smith Johnston, c.1858-1862.
In partnership with Donald Glassford, c.1867-1868. In partnership with Mr. James Gray, c.1880-1881.
- Statutory Registers. Dundee. Deaths. (1881). 282/ 4 150. ScotlandsPeople website.
- 1851 Census Scotland. Dundee. 282 ED20 p.22. Ancestry website.
- Statutory Registers. Hobkirk. Marriages. (1859). 790/ 2. ScotlandsPeople website.
- 1871 Census Scotland. St. Peter, Dundee. 282/1 ED2 p.30. Ancestry website.
- 1881 Census Scotland. St. Andrew, Dundee. 282/4 ED41 p.55. Ancestry website.
- Dundee Directory, 1850. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directory, 1856-57. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directory, 1858-59. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directory, 1861-62. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directory, 1864-65. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1867-1875. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Dundee Directories, 1876-1881. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
- Index to Lair Holders, Western Cemetery, Dundee. Friends of Dundee City Archives website.
- Dundee Directories, 1856-1881. Local Studies, Central Library, Dundee.
The information above about William Scott Jnr has been collated from a range of digital and hard copy sources. To the best of our knowledge it is correct but if you are relying on any information from our website for the purpose of your own research we would advise you to follow up the sources to your own satisfaction. If you are aware of an inaccuracy in our text please do not hesitate to notify us through our Contact page.